Credit Transfer (RPL-IL)
Although RPL and credit transfer are related, and the boundaries between them are often blurred, they are distinguished as alternative pathways to an AQF qualification. They are distinguished by the way they relate to learning achieved through formal education and training (credit transfer) and learning achieved outside the formal education and training system (RPL) (AQF, 2013).
As determined by AQF, RPL is an assessment process that assesses the individual’s non-formal and informal learning to determine the extent to which that individual has achieved the required learning outcomes, competency outcomes, or standards for entry to, and/or partial or total completion of, a qualification.
Credit transfer assesses the initial course or subject that the individual is using to claim access to, or the award of credit in, the destination course to determine the extent to which it is equivalent to the required learning outcomes, competency outcomes, or standards in a qualification. This may include credit transfer based on formal learning that is outside the AQF framework.
The processes used to assess RPL applications may take several (not mutually exclusive) forms, for example:
- Participation in exactly the same or modified versions of the assessment the student would be required to complete as part of the full course
- Assessment based on a portfolio of evidence
- Direct observation of demonstration of skill or competence
- Reflective papers, journals or portfolios that relate past learning to the learning or competency outcomes of the current course or qualification
- Provision of examples of the student’s work drawn from the workplace, social, community or other setting in which the student applies their learning, skill or competence
- Testimonials of learning, skill or competence
- Combinations of any of the above
The National Principles and Operational Guidelines for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) represent a set of national cross-sector guidelines to support implementation of RPL as an important element of Australian education and training. At ALTEC the granting of RPL and Credit Transfers will be established and maintained in accordance with;
- AQF National principles and operational guidelines for Recognition of Prior Learning (TAFE) Procedure
- Standards for NVR Registered Training Colleges (SNR)
RPL applicants must first apply for and enrol in desired courses and indicate RPL/Credit Transfer option on the application form.
Refer to [Download not found] for more information and the application process.